The town of Virgin is situated in a valley south of Kolob Mountain. The only access to Kolob Mountain and Reservoir from the south is through the town of Virgin, therefore it has earned the nickname "Gateway to the Kolobs."
Virgin was settled by a number of families from Cedar City in late 1858. The early settlers faced a great many hardships trying to establish small farms in the area. At best these were difficult times filled with efforts to construct ditches in and around the town for watering crops. About 70 acres were planted during the first year (1859). Crops grown in Virgin included cotton, corn, cane, wheat, alfalfa, and grapes. They also grew a little tobacco. The first oilfield in Utah started in 1907 up along North Creek. It was producing oil up until the late 1960's.